Monday, August 24, 2009

History

We were called to pick up one of our regular dialysis patients from treatment and bring him back to his nursing home. After moving him to his bed, I turned to leave the room and noticed a bulletin board full of pictures. Most appeared to be of his children and grandchildren, but one caught my attention. I looked at it closely, then turned my head to look at the patient lying in bed.

Yup, it was him. Standing on a boat with his granddaughter. Smiling, happy, in seemingly perfect health.

I looked back again at the patient, lying motionless in bed, eyes fixed on the ceiling.

The picture was dated 2008. I turned to my partner and asked what his history was.

"CVA."
"That's it?"
"Well, after that, it all started going downhill."
"Oh. Wow."

I gazed at the photo, looking back and forth between the picture and the patient.

History in 2008: No past pertinent medical history.

History in 2009: General weakness, renal failure, aphasia, diabetes, dysphagia all secondary to CVA.

No comments: